Back to School – with $50,000
Going back to school is a little bit easier this fall for students receiving scholarships at EMLF member law schools, with $50,000 in awards mailed last week to the following students:
- American University, Washington College of Law – Sean Tshikororo
- University of Kentucky College of Law – Jesse Parrish
- University of Oklahoma College of Law – Teresa Baumann, Ashley Miller, Keith Needham, and Bradley Secrist
- University of Pittsburgh Law School – Joseph Schaeffer
- Southern Methodist University, Dedman School of Law – Ethan Wood
- West Virginia University College of Law – Cole Bozic, Vanessa Baxter, and Courtney Richardson
Since the inception of the EMLF Law Student Scholarship Program, $432,000 has been awarded to law students who show the potential to contribute to the field of energy and mineral law. Scholarships are funded primarily through EMLF membership dues, program revenues and memorial scholarships.
Law School Energy Careers Programs at Member Law Schools
Each fall EMLF members volunteer their time to speak on a law school panel about their energy and mineral law practices, in an effort to encourage law students to enter this practice.
Most dates are not yet confirmed, but programs are usually scheduled at Appalachian School of Law (October 12, 2011 at 3:00 p.m.), Duquesne Law, Pittsburgh Law School, University of Kentucky, Washington & Lee, and West Virginia University.
Informal presentations give students an understanding of the wide variety of practice areas that come into play as an energy and mineral lawyer, usually about 10 minutes speaking time per panelist, with varied backgrounds from corporate, in-house counsel or law firms with coal, gas, oil, mine safety, and electric power careers. If you would like to volunteer, please send your name to Sharon Daniels, and we will let you know the law school program schedules as they are confirmed.
Kentucky Mineral Law Conference – October 19-21, 2011
The complete program brochure, registration form, hotel information, and online registration are now available at www.emlf.org. The Kentucky Mineral Law Conference at the Griffin Gate Marriott Resort in Lexington coincides with fall Thoroughbred racing at Keeneland, so hotel space sells out quickly. Make your hotel reservations early.
Justice Elizabeth McClanahan’s Virginia Supreme Court Investiture
The Virginia General Assembly has voted to elevate Justice Elizabeth A. McClanahan from the Court of Appeals to the Virginia Supreme Court, for a 12-year term. Elizabeth was active in the EMLF while in private law practice in Abingdon, VA, speaking, writing, and serving on the Scholarship and the Executive Committees. Justice McClanahan invites friends and colleagues to attend her investiture on September 1, 2011 at 9:30 a.m. in the Supreme Court Building in Richmond, VA. Prospective attendees should identify themselves for security purposes by sending an email.
EMLF Welcomes New Members
Law Firm Supporting Members:
- Bailey & Wyant, P.L.L.C. – Jason S. Hammond, Charleston, WV
- Cardo ENTRIX, Inc. -– Neal Brody, Los Angeles, CA; Michael B. McGinn, Barrington, IL; Jeffrey Davis, Salt Lake City, UT
- Rachel Ajasa, Tulane University Law School, New Orleans, LA
- Lydia M. Beirne, WV Land Services LLC, Charleston, WV
- Safiya N. Boucaud, Pittsburgh, PA
- Joseph Bunn, Jones & Associates, Charleston, WV
- Gary Broadbent, Murray Energy Corporation, Alledonia, OH
- Elisa Butler, Abstractor, Washington, PA
- John Catsonis, Anchor OGM, Lakewood, OH
- Kayla Cook, WVU School of Law, Morgantown, WV
- Jason Cooper, Brighton Resources, LLC, Pittsburgh, PA
- Robert DeSanto, Ashland County Park District, Ashland, OH
- Carla Elmer, Land Management Services, Metairie, LA
- Michael B. Gardner, Oxford Resource Partners, LP, Columbus, OH
- Gene D. Emmons, The Rowe Law Firm, LLC, Linton, IN
- Joseph L. Jenkins, WV Department of Environmental Protection, Charleston, WV
- Lori J. Mason, PBS Coals, Inc., Friedens, PA
- Dawn J. McVicker, PBS Coals, Inc. Friedens, PA
- Joseph R. Miller, Rhino Energy LLC, Lexington, KY
- Clare Murray, McGill Faculty of Law, South Royalton, VT
- Amy I. Pandit, Morgan, Lewis & Bockius LLP, Pittsburgh, PA
- John Pinson, Clean Gas, Inc., Hindman, KY
- Chad Spence, Artex Oil Company, Marietta, OH
- Simon Tolbert, Steamboat Springs, CO
- W. Brent Williams, Huntington, WV